Henry Hogg Biddle House
This impressive house at 70 Satterlee St. was constructed around 1850 by Henry Hogg Biddle (1806-1887), wealthy landowner and self-described “gentleman,” on his 58-acre farm. Biddle operated ferry service between Tottenville and Perth Amboy at the foot of Amboy Rd., and developed a temperance park and picnic grounds on the northern side. The construction combines Greek Revival features, including identical two-story twin porticos, with the much earlier spring eave. A square cupola originally stood at the peak of the roof.
George T. Brewster, renowned sculptor, lived and worked here from 1904 until 1933. A barn on the north side of the house was converted into his studio. The third principal and last resident owners were A. Charles Petersen and his wife Katherine. They occupied the house with their family from 1943 until the City of New York received title in the early 1990s. The Petersens are recognized for their extensive restoration of the house and steadfast determination to preserve the property. In 1990, the Henry Hogg Biddle House became a Designated New York City Landmark , and today is part of Conference House Park.